Friday, January 22, 2010

Discovering the Classics: "The Apartment"



Once in a while, I get hooked on a director and try to ingest everything they create until my eyes can take no more and I move on the next guy/girl. I'll go through phases of auteurs like Tati or Fassbinder but last year it was all about Billy Wilder. Which is strange to me because I never really considered him an auteur but rather a director the Hollywood studios employed to turn out their projects. I re-watched Double Indemnity and then moved onto the classics The Lost Weekend, Stalag 17, the amazing Sunset Boulevard and finally Some Like it Hot. But the one that really stood out for me was The Apartment. I cannot believe that I waited this long to see this gem. It's one of the cutest rom-coms out there and I don't usually like 'romantic' movies. I just wish the studios today who produce the crap out there, paid a little more attention to these older classics. And how adorable is Shirley MacLaine in this flick? I'll spare you the synopsis which you can find on IMDB.
Mad Men
alert! From the opening shots of the company office space in The Apartment, you can see where inspiration for the offices of Sterling Cooper came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment